Saturday, February 13, 2010

chemo begins

I am on day 3 today and feeling better than I expected. I guess I should've expected that from a $405 nausea medicine!

Treatment went fine. Scariest part was honestly walking in the door. April came with me and made it a lot more fun. It is almost like a little spa day! Seriously. I sit in a nicely padded recliner chair and get hooked up to my iv. I get my meds and get to just be for 2 hours. April and I caught up on Dr Phil's guests, shared our humorous stories, and a few of you even got a nice picture that I will soon post! It was not one thing like I had expected (I really have no idea what I expected).

One of my chemo meds is bright red (looks like my favorite cocktail or a nice glass of wine) and the other is just clear. It really looked as if I had graduated to wine to the veins!! It will now be referred to as the "THE LOUNGE that I go to every other Thursday afternoon instead of going to work" :) ! I guess that would explain the feeling of being hit by a truck today on day three...

I had an injection yesterday that will help make my bone marrow produce more white blood cells since mine will be taking a dive here next week. It was wonderful! Especially today when every bone I have in my body feels....not in pain just sore or maybe tired.

The other wonderful side effect to note is what is called "chemo brain"!! Oh this one is fun. I am a bit scatter brained as most of you are probably aware of, but this brings blond to new heights for me. I walked around yesterday calling Valentines day, Halloween! Who knows, it messes with short term memories. My wonderful top notch mind that can't even remember what is on a list is just fun (mostly for others to listen to).
All in all, I feel good. Apart from a few times in the day when meds are due. My big hope today is that the rest of the treatment stays like this and I will be just fine and minus some hair!

Oh yeah the Cancer center here is amazing. They have hats, wigs, and scarfs in a store that are all free. The have support groups, free yoga classes on Friday's (which I will be attending next Friday), and many other free fun things to do. I may be hanging out there quite a bit! (Just kidding anyone from work reading this :) ) I am treated better now than ever! Pretty sweet!

Here is my music quote for the day (hopefully I haven't used it before, if I have it is the chemo brain talking):
"Its a great day to be alive, I know the sun's still shining when I close my eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment