Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ta-ta tastic!

The month of October I have teamed up with my favorite organization (besides my own), Save the TaTas. They are one of my favorites because they have brought smiles into a world that lacks them. Cancer is hard and it is not fun, but our outlook on things really has a lot more to do with our health than we think. The mission is simple, Fight Cancer Your Way and Fight Cancer together. This really hits home for me because the whole reason my Friends of the Bald Woman non-profit even exists is because of the humor of my now 7 year old son and because I fought my way. I made jokes to the world on this blog when many didn't believe I should be joking. I laughed when many thought I should be crying. What I quickly found was that my attitude not only made a difference in my physical health, but those around me reading and laughing became a part of my adventure which gave them some small piece of comfort.

This October in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month I decided to give you a little reminder of why I am here.......

On December 22,2009 I received my Christmas present a few days early. I got the brand new snowboard that I had been dreaming of, but with that, a big fat breast cancer diagnosis. All I really remember of the day is that I was waking up from surgery, hearing the 3 words that nobody wants to hear, and then asking for Dr. Jonas to take care of that Sammy Brady for switching my test results (Ahhhh, any Days of our Lives fans out there would have got that). Apparently, she didn't and I was left to deal with this diagnosis.

Time in the cancer world seems to stand still way too often. Lets back up to Thanksgiving Day 2009. I was 30 years old with a husband, 2 children, and a dog. I was living the life I dreamed. By a complete and utter accident I picked up a bra strap that had fell on my shoulder and as my finger slid to pull it up it hit a mountain. I felt again and again and again.....it was like there was a golf ball under my skin moving around in my boob. I went in after the longest weekend of my entire life and all signs really did point to no. My magic 8 ball even said no!! I had no history in my family, I breastfed my kids, I did all the things I was supposed to, and I WAS 30! Things like this don't happen to young people like me....or so I thought.

I finished 5 1/2 months of chemotherapy treatments, 6 1/2 weeks of daily radiation treatments, and now I am currently on 5 years of the fabulous mood altering  medication that has similarities to menopause. I am a lucky lady... I know. I get to blame my excessive sweating, mood swings, and forgetfulness on my meds for the next 5 years! I just pull that "cancer card" whenever I need to get out of things, when I forget things, and when I need something really bad.....see, having cancer has to have some perks too!

Think Pink, The Diary of the Bald Woman started during my treatments as way to keep my family informed of my treatments and how I was feeling. Who am I kidding, it was just a way to get more sleep after treatment and not field so many phone calls. :) Then it quickly turned into much more. It became cheaper than going to therapy sessions. I decided to cut my insurance company a break!It has now evolved into a passion I never knew existed. Who says cancer can't bring good things???  I know I never said that. I had free house cleaning every week, meals brought to me everyday for 5 months, massages, and even a free facial every week if I wanted it. Yeah, I realize every busy mother out there is now jealous! :)

So like I mentioned earlier I have teamed up with Save the Ta-tas not only to blog but to give away something as well. I have picked my favorite TaTa T....Green saves trees, Pink saves these! I know I know,  right up my alley. I LOVE this org and what they stand for. They have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to breast cancer. Here is the link fyi.....http://www.savethetatas.org/why-we-are-special/
Anyone that signs up to be subscriber to this blog and leaves a comment below will be automatically entered to win. You could win an awesome T and read my ultra funny postings....I look at that as WIN WIN!! The really funny stuff btw is located in 2010 around February/March I believe. That is when I was smack dab in the middle of the cocktail lounge. (see the post and find out what the cocktail lounge is) :)

I have to credit the win of my fight to the fabulous family and friends that I have. It was a bit like running a marathon. You have to do it alone and it can be very difficult. You have your ups and your downs and few people even attempt to do it, BUT the entire race you have people cheering you on and motivating you to keep going. Step by step and even inch by inch you finish the race. After looking back at what you have done you realize that you may have ran by yourself but you were never really alone!


 
Have a TaTa Tastic day everyone and remember to support Save the TaTas fight against this ugly beast named Cancer! If you would like to be entered in the drawing for the FREE shirt subscribe to this crazy ex-bald ladies blog  and see my journey from Blonde to Bald and Back!!!!!


To win the shirt....
1. Join my blog following AND
2. post a comment below
Thats it and you are automatically entered to win the free shirt!!! (include your email)

27 comments:

  1. Awesome shirt! Love it, love it;) need to save every tatas around the world, they are a great accessorie to every outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read your blog when you link it to FB, so why not subscribe? :) I think what you're doing is great - I actually thought of you yesterday when a guy was on TV talking about grants he's giving to small/start-up cancer charities, but I forgot the name of it by the time I got to the computer. Whoops. If it comes back to me, I'll totally send it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Holly! Love reading your blog and keeping up with your non-profit. Amazing how far you have come. Love the shirt too. Miss seeing you at Park :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take my hat off to everyone going through this! You are my hero for being so strong! My stepmom is a 5 year survivor and doing great. I wear pink almost everyday its just a reminder that there are so many strong women out there!!

    rrodsquad4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I can't find the place to join your blog so I am liking you on FB!I wanted to say you are a beautiful and strong woman! You and everyone else battling this horrible thing are my heros and I can only hope if something like this happens to me or my daughterwe can be as strong and beautiful as you! One of my best friends lost her mother this past June and it has been a very trying time for her and her family. We are doing a walk Sat Oct 15th in Bloomington, In and I know it will be a bitter sweet day for her, last year was the first time she attended this walk with her mother thinking they would attend this year as well. I know "Ritz" isn't going to be there in person but she will in spirit :) I love this shirt and anything to do with this. I just hope one day we can find a cure and until then we will Stand up to Cancer! Thank you for sharing your story and this opportunity it would be an amzing thing to win and even if not the chance was wodnerful! Keep you beautiful head held high and have a blessed day! Bald is Beautiful :) Megan S. mbrooke1181@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. What inspiring words. I have learned as well, it is impossible to get through life without a sense of humor. It is needed armour. ladlabx@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Cant wait to read your previous & new posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also unable to follow blog but liked you on Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this shirt! I will even buy one if I do not win the free one. Just let me know how. Stay STRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also was diagnosed with breast cancer in December of 2009. My niece turned me on to "Save The TaTa's". I love this T-shirt and have subscribed to your blog. Look forward to reading it. Girls, remember to feel your boobies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am unable to find your blog to subscribe (in order to win a T-shirt). Can you tell me and the other gals that posted before me where to sigh up for the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok guys just post a comment and don't worry about subscribing. Include ur name and will post winner Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! My name is Krista Jelley and I LOVE all the effort and positive in-sight that these type of sites bring to those who are in need of some encouragement. Hold on ladies...a cure is coming soon for sure :^)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I just buy one of these shirts? I LOVE them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holly,

    I have been following you since you started promoting the Bald Woman's Ball.

    Thank you for a wonderful opportunity to show our support and follow you in your journey.

    You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you re-shared the start of your journey with us today! Congrats on all that you've accomplished. You are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are very inspiring to everyone! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just signed up! You are such an inspiration! God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad that you were able to beat the beast. I still remeber the day my Mom came home and told me that she had breat cancer. It is a day that I will never forget but the journey through her treatment made our bond stronger. She is now 6 years in recovery and my Grandma is 3 year survivor of breast cancer. It is something that touches all our lives and great to hear some success stories and keep the hope alive for a cure. kelly_prellwitz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just for the ones not knowing how to subscribe, I beleive I did and you dgo all the way down to the bottom of this page and click post comment (below here) and then you will subscribe I think! Have a blessed day and Stay Strong and Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cancer has struck almost my entire family,, I am having another surgery on 10/25/11,, cancer truly sucks,, it has taken so many members of my family,, but my brothers and myself are still fighting and Thanks be to God are staying on top of it,, Blessing to all who are affected by this beast and the people who love them,, Mary meowry@oigp.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've read your posts on FB, but never came to your blog :/ but now I am here and following via GFC (Bianca Roman)

    My aunt fought and won (twice) breast cancer for the longest time. She was young as well (not sure how young though) and it was a shock to everyone involved. She thinks of others before thinking of herself and I think that's what got her through it, you know? And she's always so happy even when she shouldn't be.

    My hat goes off to you for kicking this in its ass. <333

    adoruhs(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this shirt. I would wear it proud~Aloha from the Big Island of HAwaii~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  24. Opps forgot to leave my email above...
    toddandjillosborn@yahoo.com

    Aloha-Jill Osborn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love and hugs to You, My friends, My Grandmother, and the many other courageous survivors!!! You are strong powerful women!!! Jenn : jennfet@yahoo.com
    ;

    ReplyDelete