Sunday, June 13, 2010

Relay Recap

The Bald Woman has had another crazy busy weekend going. I am surprised everyone is still sleeping and I have time to write this. I will be whisked away to housecleaning in a few short minutes so time is of the essence...

It started with the Relay for Life. It was lots of fun being around so many positive people that want to see this disease gone. I saw no other baldies out this fine evening but Bald Woman represented for you all don't worry!!! The Bald Woman and myself are becoming more like one person everyday. My wonderful family came down to support the cause, my doctor was there nurses, my favorite front desk girl, my favorite hairdresser, and even my support group and work out ladies. It was fun. On the survior lap it was almost hard to keep a few tears out of my eyes. I think it was walking around and everyone clapping for us. I just remember thinking, "I haven't even done anything". Most people that know me would assume I was in my glory...I mean walking around and people just clapping for me taking pics...really it is this small town gals dream! It was weird though becasue I was amoungst some real heros. One woman next to me had been a survivor for 37 years. That to me deserves a round of applause. I just try to imagine what her treatment was 37 years ago and how horrible it must have been. People like that and the advancements in treatment have made it much better for us now. To be walking with them is an honor.

The highlight however for me was the luminary lap. All lights went off and each person affected here or passed on had a lighted bag. They also spelled out the word HOPE on the bleachers. Those of you who have gone to this know that there is a lap of silence too....that is when this Bald Woman started to get worried. Silence and and my children (especially at 10:45pm) do not go together. One of my favorite moments from this was my son asking if we could stop walking and go to bed now. He said we could "share a tent with someone". I whispered to him that this was the last lap and he like any happy little boy rolled his eyes and kept going....love him :) My other biggest fan, my 2 year old (who was hanging in pretty well because her super smart mother decided to give her a good nap at 4:00), is shoulder riding at this point. She walked quite a bit but would often lay on the ground and say her "heels weren't working" (turns out she had a blister forming...poor gal) Right before we left she whispers in her cute little voice from her dad's shoulders..."Can we talk to you now???" I smiled and walked up to the car with my wonderful little family so proud that they were there to support me.

Went back again by myself in the early morning while they were asleep and got a great mile and half run in and mile walk or so. One of these years we can try the whole camp out thing....maybe. That would make for a good post I am sure!

The countdown to chemo being over....2 left! Watch out cancer...I am coming for you when this is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment