Monday, May 17, 2010

Book of Life

I have been looking at life alot lately like it is a great book. Think of the greatest books you have read and imagine if the story would have been any good without the difficulties. I am going to guess no! We are all going to go through difficulties in our lives, some more difficult than others, but that is life and living. Some of the people I look up to most in my life have suffered the greatest difficulties. I think what separates us is the way we deal with them. There are those who curse them, blame others, and get wrapped up in them. Then there are the others who try to take each difficulty for what it is....a lesson or opportunity to gain something. You can gain something out of even the most devastating situations. I am not sure why or how we choose our side, but the division is there. I am openly choosing the side of learning. There are critics however that think that is not possible. They want to know why I am not angry or blaming others or the environmental factors that cause cancer. They think there could be a quick fix or if only someone would have...whatever. I smile, knowing that their motives are only to protect me from any pain, worry, or stress. Does it really matter what happened to lead up to this? If I felt it would save someone else...sure I would go around shouting to anyone that would listen. In my case, however, there is nothing I would have done differently.

*****I would encourage 100% to do self exams EVERY month to catch things as early as possible... I did catch mine early and that made life much easier.******

Maybe this is why writers have great stories to tell. They understand and are on the side of lessons and learning. They can take the negatives and find a way to learn something or show others how. They are able to share that with the world and people stop and evaluate their own life. Once you change your thinking to the positive your whole life begins to change. (I am NOT even remotely saying you will never complain, so don't get me confused here) It is like any great skill that you develop it takes practice. It is a skill or an art to think like that. Anyone can do it, I certainly had dark points in my life long before cancer came around. I gave in to self pity and felt powerless. All I could think about or focus on was how I couldn't get out....and I didn't. I had to make that choice to change though not anyone else.

In my grandfathers great story of life he had MANY ups and downs. His last day we shared them all and how those ups and yes even the downs all put everyone into the places that we are in our lives now. If it weren't for some of HIS biggest struggles people wouldn't have met, some of us not born, and attitudes would have been different. Knowing this, how could you say his struggles were a bad thing. Not very fun at the time yes, but to never have had them would have changed everything...I say everything happens for a reason and some would argue that is just what we say to make ourselves feel better. So to that I say....Everything may not happen for a reason, but you can find a reason out of everything! My grandfather received the most perfect last day ever. He listened to how he changed and formed all of our lives and then just like a great story a few hours after we left...so did he holding the hand of his true love and wife.

Today, I can only hope my own story will be as full and impactful as he was to each of us. Go make an impact today!

No comments:

Post a Comment