Monday, April 19, 2010

Weekend Away

What a weekend....We decided to go to Portland for a long weekend and it was great. We went to the zoo, a discovery musuem, swam in the hotel pool, and even went up to Seattle on the way home to go to a Mariners game. It was really non-stop for us. I had my 2nd treatment with the new stuff on Thursday and by Friday morning we were on the road. I was a little nervous on if I would be tired or sick. We did LOTS of walking, pretty much the whole weekend everywhere we went. Turns out I was good to go. I was so happy to have spent the quality time with my little family. I even forgot to take a nausea med on the way there and I didn't even notice.
Here are the highlights....

1. Kids sitting at the hotel restaruant screaming, "It's mine" with the salt shaker (while I was getting them the food to put it on).

2. Taking the bus and trains to get to the zoo so we didn't have to drive. It was funny trying to figure out what bus or train to connect to....it was alot harder than I thought.

3. Touring downtown Portland by bus and looking out to homes with bars on the windows.

5. While on the bus 30 drug rehab workers joined us with their lovely mouths on their way to pick up the trash in the city.

6. Walking to dinner each night and having my husband and son talk each day about wanting to go to Hooters and my 2 year old say, yeah..Cooties!

7. Going to the Mariners game and walking under the I-5 bridge and seeing the 5 people asleep under it and being thankful for my crazy life.

8. On the way there having NO agenda. We left whenever, stopped where ever, and did whatever we wanted. Everyone should try this sometime....no worries whatsoever!

9. Randomly discovered a really cool history museum while on the way with a really cool kids area inside.

10. Watching my husband carry a 25 pound weight on his shoulders all weekend while she danced and waved to her fans below!

The most important thing that I will remember from this weekend however is....
I felt like a normal person on a vacation not a cancer patient. Not once do I remember thinking even about the word cancer! That is a success in my book. We had more fun as a family this weekend than we have in a long time. That to me is priceless and I will take these memories and cherish them forever.

I do need to thank yet another angel in my life. My sister's mother-in-law!!! No we are not related by blood or marriage even, but this woman is family none the less. She came over before we left on this trip with an envelope full of what she had raised at her work. She wanted to do something for me at her work and they told her no because I was not her family...she then put together a tupperwear basket full of $150 worth of tupperwear products (she sells them). She then sold is as a raffle ticket item at her work instead of a "fundraiser". God sends lots of people here to do things and I am thankful for each and every one of you that has crossed my path and I pray that one day I am able to return the generosity. I am so happy and thankful that I know you all, have a wonderful day and make it count...never know when your time clock will run out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment