Thursday, December 2, 2010

Is the grass greener?

Well the grass is always greener on the other side isn't it? That's what they say anyway! My dad had a million of them. In the last year I have really come to see these in full light. There are so many old sayings that have stuck in my mind over the years. It makes me think of my parents words that I once mocked. Oh come on you know the ones like, "If I have to turn this car around...", and "Nothing good happens after midnight". I remember these sayings like it was yesterday that my parents muttered them to me over and over and over.

These sayings, that I am certain were given to them by their parents, have stuck around for good reason. Think about it....what good REALLY happens after midnight??? As a teen, NOTHING! As an adult, AGAIN NOTHING!!! When do you think all the Dui's happen, kids get sick, or thoughts run aimlessly though your mind.

Then there is my favorite "Do I have to turn this car around?" This always makes me laugh because I have used this as a parent. It really is a great tool to keep your kids in line on long car rides isn't it? Well at least until they get smart and say, "yes...we wanna go back!!!" :) Think about it, do you really want to say that when you have just left like Disneyland or it's equivalent to your kids??? I don't think so! This one has stuck around for good reason too, but it is a different reason than the first. The first was true, so it made through multiple generations. The second however, this is just a "payback" from your parents. It is their attempt at "I told you so humor"! As soon as we use this and it backfires what do we do? We call our parents and thank them for putting up with so much. This is a "parental insurance policy". They paid their dues for many years and this saying is a guaranteed bet that you WILL appreciate what they did for you!

Then there is that grass. It will never be as long, short, green, or as thick as your neighbors. This saying always will ring true to me. I remember having no hair after chemo began. I had two wonderful handpicked wigs. The wig hair was never the wrong color, cut, and I hand picked them. One day I decided that I didn't like my hair as much as my friends hair. Really? I can't help but laugh because when I had hair I hated it. When I lost my hair I wished it would come back. And now that it is back, well take a wild guess on my thoughts on it! This saying is not only true for hair, bodies, houses, and stuff but life as a whole. Why can't we just be SATISFIED with what we are given? That is why this life lesson has survived because it speaks so much to life.

Whether your grass is green, you turn the car around, or are enjoying the wonders of after midnight just remember one little thing....Life is made up of powerful moments that can teach us so much. Take each one for what it is worth and learn from them all. You will then realize that the grass maybe greener somewhere else, but your grass is YOURS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment