Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The monkey

I heard another monkey story the other day that I found fitting. It involved a study done with a monkey and cage. There were two cages and they would shock the monkey on one side of the cage and naturally it would jump to the other side of the cage. (I realize this story is not the nicest for animal rights but I am only retelling it for a purpose not condoning the study) They would shock, it would switch sides, and it continued to do this behavior when in pain/danger. Then they decided to shock both sides of the cage. They did this and the monkey tried to go to the "safe" side but it was getting shocked there too so it would hop back to the other. What they found out was the monkey then went into a state of rage and anger for a bit and then laid down and simply gave up. There was no safe side anymore so it just laid there with no effort to move anymore.

The reason for this not so nice story is this...In life we all kind of lose our "safe" side. We get mad and we all too often just lay down and give up. There are few though that no matter how many times they have been shocked, kicked, or beaten up they will continue to get up and try again. What makes those people different? What is the breaking point of fighting and finally deciding that enough is enough and just laying down? I struggle with this constantly. Life this last year has not been kind, not been easy, and certainly not been any fun. It has been hard, sad, and the most challenging year yet. What I have learned however in this mess is this...I will not lay down! I will jump from side to side, get shocked until I am no longer breathing and unable to move. I get mad and then I get stronger each time I am pushed down. No mountain climber will tell you that it is an easy journey and life too will never always be easy but we really need to be reminded in these dark times that the journey up is what matters. What you learn about yourself and your limits right away is just as magnificent as the view. Maybe that is why the view is so amazing because its the end of that difficult journey.

Cancer taught me this lesson. This awful year has taught me this lesson. My journey is not over so I will get strong, I will get tougher, and I will see what really is important in life.  We will all be given the opportuntiy to learn this lesson.....will you lay down and quit or will you never give up and just keep jumping?

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing and beautiful and inspiring blog!! I am so glad I found this :) May I become a follower??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) of course you can!! Thank you for reading. Its always nice to know that someone reads this crazy mess from my head!

      Delete
    2. Well then you officially have a new follower. Feel free to follow mine as well if you wish :)

      ~Keith

      Delete