Sunday, March 13, 2011

Advice

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Advice...I love this one today because everyone LOVES to give you advice, don't they! One thing I have learned about advice is that we all like to give it, but receiving it is a different story. I was and have been in a family services field for many years and my job often times IS advice, but how do you give advice to the one who doesn't want it (or think they need it)? The answer: you don't. You try and guide them to a point where they can come up with it themselves.

I have received lots of advice from people on cancer, having kids, and even my job. The quote could not ring more true that only you can give yourself the best advice because only YOU walk in those shoes everyday! i am not saying that I don't appreciate each piece of advice that I am given, but really at the end of the day I am the one calling the shots.

I was looking today at some pictures of me from this time last year. Wow I LOOK sooo sickly! I was shocked today to see how sick I actually looked in these pics. I never thought I was sick so to see these was tough. It even brought a few tears. It was a rough road but when I spent the whole time laughing I forgot to note that I was actually sick.

So my advice to you today....take your own! (I am still working on giving less and using my own more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment