Friday, July 27, 2012

The logo story

OK I promised a story of how our Friends of the Bald Woman logo came to be.......

I guess before I can start with the logo I have to tell you about the blog. This blog was only called Think Pink for a long time. My then 5 year old son, often came in and watched me type my daily posts to update all who read about the humors of my tumors (omg...that is funny and I literally just now made that up! too funny).

I was typing one day and he looked at the title and looked at me. He said, "Think Pink, that is kinda dumb". I looked back over and said, "OK well what do you think I should call it?" (this was very sarcastically and in my crazy voice) He paused and looked at me (bald as I could be) and said, "THE BALD WOMAN". It was in the strangest low pitched voice and we laughed for 15 minutes straight! Then I knew.....that was it!

The blog then became know as Think Pink: The Diary of the Bald Woman (only because I didn't want to change the URL and have to tell everyone) :) As I finished treatment and typed posts about the Bald Woman (aka ME) I decided that it was time to take it to the next level. I wanted to help people the way everyone did for me so my grand pay it forward plan began. There was no better name than Friends of the Bald Woman. The non profit was born and life as I knew it changed again!

As our non profit began to slowly grow we decided that we needed something that branded us. We needed a logo. My son, who then was 6, had been making me pictures of cancer ribbons and was really into drawing. He came to me around this same time with a picture. It was a simple heart with a cancer ribbon inside. I thanked him for the gift and then looked a little closer realizing that yet again he may have done it. I sent the drawing to a graphic designer and they cleaned it up a bit, fixed the colors, and added our name in  cool font.......BOOM our logo was made.

Some may have wondered if the logo is supposed to look like a child made it....yes. That logo means more to me than any designers perfect straight lined design can be. It is rough around the edges, not perfect, and was made with more love than you'll know. It was the final piece of what my son had started. That logo provides a great story and knowing that my son made it after he inspired the whole non profit makes it amazing to me.

We have come a long way in the last 2 years and I am forever thankful to all of you who have encouraged me to keep going even when it was very difficult. I look at the logo and am reminded of the love, the hope, and the laughter that my family and I shared on this journey. I hope now when you look at this logo you too will feel the love that created it! Have a fantastic day :)

***oh yeah....look very close in the heart and see if you can see what looks like a person with their hands up in the air (look only at the white part). What a cool hidden secret that you only know if you read my blog!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment