Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dear Sharon

Cancer took another life from this world and today I watch a friend be laid to rest. This letter is the one that she would never get to read........

Dear Sharon,

I just want you know that you have made a difference in lives of many including my own. When we met all those years ago I was afraid of you. (I know you are probably laughing hysterically now) I was a rookie supervisor and came into a group of seasoned and very opinionated teachers. :) I remember going home and thinking...."wow, what have I got myself into".  At our first staff meeting things changed. I felt that you understood and agreed with my "laughter is the best bonding medicine". I did silly games and made sure we were all laughing and I felt like you understood. Those times at Head Start will be with me forever. There were many ups and many downs along our journey and I am thankful for all of them and know that I am better for having known you!

When you called me a few months back I was shocked and saddened by your new chapter of life that you would have to endure. After talking with you several times...I wasn't sad anymore because I knew that if anyone understood that "laughter is the best medicine" it was you! You of all people knew that a good attitude would take you further than any medicine. I am sure that every doc and nurse in that place knew your name! :) Each day that I watched you fight I was in awe of your courage and strength. Life doesn't always hand us the easiest of things to deal with but you handled it with a true "Sharon style"!

I am so thankful that I was able to see you the day you came home from the hospital to become under hospice care. I remember only wondering... why???? You told me that the doctors told you that the treatment options were over and there was nothing else to do. I asked you what you do with that kind of information baffled to hear this coming out of your mouth.  Your response though was what I remember the most...you said, "You just keep your spirits as high as you can each day and trust that God has a plan for all of us". I am crying even as I type this because I struggle today thinking about this. I will do my best to live by this and know that you are right.

I heard the Bob Marley song, "Don't Worry about a thing" and I just imagine you up there with my grandpa looking down and telling me not to worry about anything. I am trying to understand the whys of this but I don't honestly think I am meant to....I know that there is a plan out there of each of us and I hope you can put in a good word with the big guy for me! :)

I will miss you greatly and until we meet again my friend................................

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment